In my own experience, the decision to wait or to take immediate action was not an easy one to make as the symptoms of my BPH worsened. The quality of my life had definitely been impacted, yet I was very apprehensive about going in for surgery.
The first urologist I visited appeared to be very impatient with me when I asked questions pertaining to my BPH. He suggested that I consider surgery; due to the size of my gland and the symptoms I was experiencing, he believed an operation was inevitable. He was later proved to be correct, but he did not mention any other options, and I perceived that he was too aggressive in wanting to schedule a date for this procedure.
Due to my public health background (as a health educator for the Los Angeles Health Department, a teacher of gerontology, and an author of two books on health), I was well aware of the complications that could develop during surgery. A review of literature pertaining to BPH revealed that the mortality rate of BPH and prostate surgery was less than 1 percent, but I didn't want to be that one out of one hundred. Actually, the cause of death from this operation is usually due to a heart attack or pulmonary problem, and it generally targets patients older than I was.
I decided to get a second opinion. I asked several of my physician friends to whom they would go if they or members of their family had prostate disorders. The name of one particular urologist was mentioned, so I made an appointment with him.
This urologist took the time to explain to me in detail, using diagrams, the progression of my problem and the options for treating it. He outlined a plan of watchful waiting and advised me to call him immediately if I noticed any change in the symptoms, which is what I did.
The most serious problem developed when I experienced urinary retention. The pain, to put it mildly, was excruciating. On the way to the emergency room for some immediate and possibly life-saving treatment, I made up my mind: This is itno more waiting. If I had any doubts about changing my course of action, the events in the hospital confirmed my decisionnever again do I want to go through that much pain. With a great deal of enthusiasm, I looked forward to an operation as soon as possible. But I had to wait about a week for the healing process to take place, during which time a catheter was attached to my leg for the withdrawal of urine. The catheter was finally removed, and an examination showed that I -was ready for the operation.
My urologist explained to me, using an enlarged picture of the gland, that my prostate was of a size that required open surgery an incision through the abdomen. During surgery, the prostatic tissue causing the blockage was removed, and it was found to be nonmalignant. My rehabilitation ran its course, and now I feel as if I have been reborn.
Looking back, I don't regret the problems and inconveniences I subjected myself to during all those years of waiting. I still think it made good sense not to go for surgery until it was definitely necessary, as it turned out to be in my situation. Your situation or your brother's or your friend'smay be different.
Men's Health Erectile Dysfunction

  © 2004-2009 realmed.biz